This no-knead bread is the easiest way to make homemade bread with very little effort.
There is nothing better than freshly baked bread with melting butter and home made jam. Last summer, I had made loads of jam and was itching to make some bread at home to accompany it. I had asked my friend and fellow blogger Cheryl (Backseat Gourmet) to recommend something easy and she suggested a no-knead recipe posted on Julie’s website (Dinner with Julie). This is the easiest recipe ever and it makes the most delicious bread. All you need to do is mix it and forget about it – for 24 hours anyway. I have made this so many times, and it is one of those no-fail recipes. Try it – your friends will think you’re a star!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups + 2TB water
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, yeast and salt.
- Add 1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons water, and stir until blended. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover the bowl and let it rest on the counter for 18-24 hours at room temperature.
- Flour a surface and place the dough on it. Sprinkle it with flour and fold it a couple of times before shaping it into a ball.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment and cover it with a towel and let it sit for another 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Put a 6-8 quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats.
- When the dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven.
- Place the dough with parchment into the pot.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake another 10-15 minutes, until it’s nice and golden.