Made with pantry staples, this shrimp and coconut chickpea curry is a delicious one pot meal.
This post contains affiliate links.
This was our dinner which was mostly made by 8 year old Z. He did things easily, chopping onions in the chopper, dumping the opened cans of chickpeas and tomatoes in the pan, and even peeling the shrimp, getting them ready to be cooked. I loved the confidence that he had in cooking and the pride that he felt when dinner was ready.
Meals like this shrimp and coconut chickpea curry are super simple and perfect for getting the kids in the kitchen. They are also tasty and filling. While this is great with rice, my preference is to have it with naan, which is easy to make at home.
Cans of chickpeas, tomatoes and coconut milk as well as onions are always in my pantry. You can usually find a bag or two of shrimp in my freezer as well. This is perfect for when you have run out of groceries and need to whip up something quick.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 540mL can chick peas
- 1 398mL can diced tomatoes
- 1 400mL can coconut milk
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 pounds shrimp
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onions and garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk and spices and let cook for about ten minutes.
- Add the shrimp and let cook for around 3 to 5 minutes until the shrimp are pink.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or naan.