After hearing how amazing the Instant Pot was, I had to get one for myself. I have been playing with it for a few weeks and am amazed at how fast things can be made in it.
One thing that I love to make in it is Khichri. Khichri is a dish made with rice and split moong beans and is cooked until almost mushy. It’s a simple dish but one that provides so much comfort. It’s one of the dishes that was introduced early to both kids and they love it. The beans provide a lot of nutrients and protein and makes me feel good about feeding the dish to the kids. It’s finished off with a knob of butter, making it creamy.
Normally, making Khichri takes over half an hour. Using the Instant Pot completely lowers the amount of time it takes to make. I set the Instant Pot to Manual for 3 minutes on high pressure. 3 minutes! This makes for a quick and healthy meal for lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup split moong beans
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 to 2 TB butter
- Rinse the rice and beans.
- Place it in the pot with water and salt.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual Pressure on High for 3 minutes.
- Once the pot beeps, wait for 5 minutes and release the pressure.
- Stir in the butter and mix until incorporated.