One of our favourite meals is Chicken Mogo – a creamy coconut dish with cassava and chicken. It’s so tasty and worth the two pots it takes to make it in – one to boil the cassava and one to cook the chicken and then the two are combined. I’ve been loving my Instant Pot and decided to experiment and see if this dish could be made in one pot. Happy to say that the experiment was a success!
I dumped everything into the Instant Pot – the chicken, the cassava, the spices. I set it to Manual for 15 minutes and did a natural release. The dish was perfect! One pot, no babysitting and a delicious meal for the family. We have made this a few times this way and it just reinforced my love for the Instant Pot.
I love that this dish feeds a crowd. The speed with which it is cooked in the Instant Pot makes it perfect for when people are coming over at the last minute. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
- 1 lb chicken, cut into pieces
- 800g cassava, thawed and cut into cubes
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 140-150g box creamed coconut
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 6 cups water
- Add all the ingredients (except for the cilantro) into the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and make sure the steam release is in the Sealing position.
- Set the pot to Manual for 15 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- Top the mogo with cilantro and serve with tamarind chutney and potato chips.