No one will guess that these crispy shrimp are baked! Tender on the inside, crisp on the outside and made even better with a spicy gochujang sauce.
Shrimp are always well received around here. They are easy to cook up so we always have a bag or two in the freezer for a quick meal. Fry them in garlic, toss them in a stir-fry, add them to pasta – they are so versatile. This recipe was well received and I definitely recommend making a double batch.
This is one of those recipes that is perfect for the kids to get involved. The three step process for coating the shrimp in panko is definitely something for the kids to help out with. From shaking the shrimp in a freezer bag of flour, dipping them into the egg and then rolling them around the panko, it’s great for little hands.
These pair really well with a spicy gochujang sauce. The kids found it spicy but they were happy eating the crispy shrimp by itself. They can easily be tossed with teriyaki sauce or even a sweet chili sauce. Gochujang or red pepper paste can be found at most Asian supermarkets. You can buy it online here (affiliate link). The red pepper sauce includes sugar and rice vinegar and garlic making it a great flavour enhancer for the shrimp.
The crispy shrimp are great on their own and are delicious in salads. Tossed with the sauce, they are great in tacos.
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko
- 1 TB garlic seasoning (or seasoning of your choice)
- 3 TB gochujang
- 2 TB sugar
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 1 TB rice vinegar
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 TB oil
- Add the flour, salt and pepper into a large ziploc bag.
- Add the eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add panko, salt, pepper and seasoning into another bowl.
- Add the shrimp and shake the bag until the shrimp are coated in flour.
- From the bag, add the shrimp to the egg bowl and then the panko bowl.
- Place the shrimp on a greased baking sheet.
- Spray the shrimp with baking spray.
- Bake the shrimp in a 400 degree preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the shrimp are done, toss them in the warm sauce.
- While the shrimp are baking, add the sauce ingredients into a saucepan and heat on medium until everything is incorporated.
Love shrimp? Try these!