Why make a whole pie when you can quickly whip up these Cosmic Crisp apple pie bites with a side of caramel sauce?
Disclaimer – This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Apples are one thing my children eat every single day. They happily enjoy them and it’s one fruit they ask for on their own. We are always happy when Cosmic Crisp apples are in season. Cosmic Crisp Washington state apples are crispier and sweeter than other varieties, and naturally slow to brown. This is a huge factor when the apples are taken to school and aren’t eaten for a few hours.
Cosmic Crisps were classically bred at Washington State University and is non-GMO. They are a cross between the ‘Enterprise’ and ‘Honeycrisp’. The apples are perfect for snacking, cooking and baking, due to their sweetness and crispy texture and are perfect in this recipe.
Apple pie seems to be everyone’s favourite. This is a great way to enjoy the taste of apple pie in a perfect little bite. Each apple slice is coated in a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and flour and then wrapped with a thin piece of puff pastry. The whole thing is baked until the puff pastry is golden and the apple slice is cooked to perfection.
This in itself is the perfect bite but a side of caramel sauce just takes it to a whole other level. I love a no fuss sauce that doesn’t need a lot of babysitting. All you need is brown sugar, butter, cream and vanilla – just throw it all into a saucepan and watch it transform into something thick and golden. Once it has started to thicken, add some salt. This is the perfect accompaniment to the apple pie bites.
- 2 Cosmic Crisp apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 TB flour
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 TB butter
- ½ cup whipping cream
- Peel and slice each apple into 8 pieces.
- Toss together the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and flour and ensure everything is coated well.
- Cut the puff pastry into 16 strips, ½” wide and 7” long.
- Wrap each apple slice with one puff pastry strip and place on a parchment lined sheet.
- Brush each apple with milk and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the apple.
- While the apples are baking, you can make the caramel sauce.
- In a saucepan, add the sugar, butter, whipping cream and a splash of vanilla.
- Bring everything to a boil and then turn down the heat until the sauce thickens.
- Finish the sauce off with a sprinkle of salt. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
Love Cosmic Crisps?
Try these recipes: