The Instant Pot has become one of the most used appliances in my kitchen. I’ve stopped putting it away because I use it practically every day. I’m amazed at how fast I can do things and so easily. From eggs to lentils to chicken and stew, it can do it all.
Always in the mood for meaty ribs, I tried making them in the Instant Pot. I was surprised when I got fall off the bone ribs in 40 minutes! Seriously. The ribs which are normally done in the smoker or the oven, low and slow, and take hours to get them tender and moist were done so quickly in the Instant Pot.
The ribs were browned directly in the pot. Onions, garlic, rosemary and tomato paste provided the flavours for this comforting dish. Once the meat was cooked, the broth was thickened with some cornstarch, making the perfect sauce.
The boys loved them, especially served over creamy mashed potatoes. Perfect for a cold night or Sunday Supper.
- 3 lbs, beef short ribs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 2 TB water
- Pat the ribs with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Select Saute on the Instant Pot and brown the ribs on both sides. Remove from the pot.
- Add onions, garlic and tomato paste and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the broth, rosemary and ribs to the pot, and lock the lid in place.
- Select Manual, High Pressure for 40 minutes. Let the pot naturally release.
- Remove the ribs from the pot.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and water.
- Skim the fat from the pot and select the Saute button.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and let the sauce thicken.
- Place the ribs in the sauce for a few minutes. Serve with extra sauce on top.